Today was the first gathering of my Organic Kids Cooking Group. I am excited to be sharing wholesome recipes with children in my Laurel Canyon kitchen - today was all about apples! We whipped together Apple Cake and then snacked on Apple Tartines while waiting for the cake to bake.
This cake is so easy and quick to make, and it's beyond delicious! Sweetness comes purely from the apples and dates - there is no need for any added sugars. It tastes like dessert, but it's so healthy you could eat it for breakfast!
APPLE CAKE by CHARLIE+LOU
5-6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced*
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 c. organic dates, pitted
1/2 c. yogurt (I used organic non-fat)
1/3 c. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. spelt flour (or whatever flour you prefer)
1 tsp. baking powder
1. Peel, core and slice the apples. Set aside.
2. Place wet ingredients in a blender. Mix until smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix until combined. Add 1-3 Tbsp of water if batter is too thick.
5. Grease a pie dish with coconut oil. Arrange half the apples on the bottom. Drizzle apples with half of the lemon juice and sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. Pour the cake batter over the apples and spread evenly.
7. Cover batter with remaining apples, lemon juice and cinnamon.
BAKE at 350F for 40-45min.
* I use an old fashion apple peeler to prepare the apples. It's so much less labour intensive than chopping and kids love to spin the handle!