Vegan Banana Date Bars
I have a friend who is from Iceland. He is the father of two beautiful girls and he bakes the most delicious banana bars. These bars are vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, and great for breakfast, packed in school lunch, or an after school snack. I bugged him for months to share his recipe, but it was in Icelandic and he had to translate it to English. This past June he finally sent me the recipe, and I promptly forgot about it!
I am excited to share that today was the day! My youngest daughter starts pre-school in a week, so we are savouring these final quiet mornings together. Today felt like a good day for baking - specifically a good day for trying out these bars!
This is a one-bowl recipe, but it calls for a lot of mashing and chopping of various things. I personally try to avoid chopping whenever possible, so I made my own adjustments and threw everything into a blender! I am also completely incapable of following a recipe as written (could this possibly be a genetic trait passed down by my mother?). What follows is my version of the translated recipe.
I promise these are super easy and fast - the perfect recipe to make with your children. They also happen to be an excellent treat to bring into school as a healthy alternative for birthday celebrations!
VEGAN BANANA DATE BARS by CHARLIE + LOU
1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 + 2/3 cup of gluten free quick cooking oats
1/2 cup walnuts *
1/2 cup pecans
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. In a blender add bananas, dates and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
2. Add oats, walnuts, pecans, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pulse until chopped and well mixed. If using chocolate chips, stir into the batter with a spoon.
3. Grease a small square baking dish or pie plate with coconut oil. Pour in batter and spread evenly.
4. Bake at 350F for 20min. Cool completely. Slice and serve.
* My friend swears by the walnuts in this recipe, but I didn't have any in my pantry. I substituted pumpkin seeds. Feel free to substitute your favourite nuts and seeds!
** Don't forget to have your child help with clean-up! This turned out to be a fun way to wait for our bars to bake.